Tuesday, February 7, 2012

COOKING: Pulled Chicken Sandwiches


My second Pinterest recipe I tackled was Crock Pot Pulled Chicken because the picture just looked so yummy and I already had all the ingredients in my kitchen (gotta love when yummy recipes line up like that!)

This came out delicious, but there's a few things I'd change from the original recipe, which can be found HERE.

1) I NEVER cook with frozen meat. It's one of my cooking no no's. So obviously I disregarded that and used fresh chicken breasts.

2)I changed the cooking time. It says 6 hours for frozen meat, less for fresh. At five hours I checked and shredded my meat. It was still raw on the inside. I'd DEFINITELY cook much longer for frozen meat than 6 hours, if I were to use it. I'm not sure if she meant on HIGH instead of LOW temp, but I let my chicken simmer on low for 6 hours, and then on high for 2 more. I usually let it go on low for 8-10 hours, especially when cooking roasts.

3) I didn't have an entire cup of Italian dressing so I used somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4. Still came out wonderful, didn't miss the rest!

4) This is a note to my future self. FUTURE SELF: DO NOT MAKE THIS WHILE PREGNANT! Even though the end product is delicious, I know what sets of my pregnant nose. The strong, oily scents of BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, Worchester sauce and onions would immediately send me bent over the t oliet, so, like sour kraut did last monty, this was my monthly free pregnancy test. However, once it was cooking, this smelled delicious all day long.

I'll definitely be making this again. Not while pregnant, of course.

5) Because of my love for all sandwiches to be toasted, I put the meat and double cheese into the bun and toasted it on 400 for about 5-10 minutes. Once I took it out, I added a tomato, which really added to the flavor. Though I admit, I'd eat the meat without anything extra - last night I put some in a bowl and just ate it with a fork.

Very easy recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you cook with frozen meat? How do you afford or find time to go to the store often enough for fresh meat if you don't freeze? Also, every pregnancy is different! You may be fine with the smell(s) next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freeze meat, but I make sure it's completely thawed before cooking it, as according to the guidelines. Cooking with frozen meat creates bacteria that the heat can't kill off and can make you sick, so I don't do it. If I know I'll be using frozen meat, I put it in the fridge a day or so before and let it slowly thaw out properly. I would not just put frozen meat in a crock pot to cook as per directed in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete