Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pinterest Cooking

A quick update in some new recipes I've been trying out, courtesy  of Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/pin/201606520792396867/
This Bacon wrapped Chicken with sour cream was pretty good. The length of cooking was a bit annoying, but it made the house smell great. The bacon, however, never got any kind of crispy due to the sour cream mixture on top, which meant eating limp bacon. It was great flavor, but really lacked texture. It was also extremely salty, between the slow cooked bacon and the cream of chicken (even with lower sodium). It was a bit like eating a flavored salt lick at times. The sour cream mixture seems off - you can't really taste the sour cream because the cream of chicken is overwhelming.
The concept of this idea is awesome, but it needs some fixing up. Next time I'd use half the cream of chicken and the same amount of sour cream. I'd put it on the bottom and sides instead of the top so at least some of the bacon has a chance to crisp up and give some texture. I'd cook it longer without the foil on. I think I'd also skip the slow cooking, since it made everything so salty and a bit mushy and cook it higher for a shorter time.

http://pinterest.com/pin/201606520792397371/
These were great. To my surprise, Bill loved them, even though they're not his typical thing to like. I figured I was making them mostly for me, because I love sandwiches that deal with french bread and tomatoes grilled up.
What I'd change about it: While the taste is great, it's lacking meat. It just seems like, with those components, there should be something meaty in it as well. I think some shredded chicken breast between the cheese and tomato would make this even better.



http://pinterest.com/pin/201606520791950346/
I made this yesterday, using mild sausage instead of spicy. It tasted really good, but it was still spicy. Not too spicy, my toddler loved it, but this preggo could not handle it and heartburn stuck with me all day. But, if I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't change that part because it had just the right amount of kick. I could NOT find Monterey Jack cheese, so I had to use cheddar and Monterey Jack combined. While it tasted fine, I think it would have been better without the cheddar. I also would add a little something else, maybe jalapenos (obviously not while pregnant) or something with a bit of added flavor to it so it's not quite so one tone. As a whole though, this was really good and SUPER filling. We couldn't eat more than half a plate at a time and it really stuck with you heavily afterwards. It would be a great winter meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment