Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CRAFT: First Katie Dress

My MIL dropped off all of her crafting supplies that she couldn't take to her new, smaller house so I've been going through them and organizing them into my craft supplies. The moment I saw pink fabric with white daisies and little lady bugs on it though, I instantly knew that I'd somehow turn it into a dress. The fabric was very small, it didn't even wrap around Katie once and I needed it to be double layered, which it obviously wouldn't be. So I paired it with a bright, sunny yellow fabric that matched the insides of the daisies. I double layered the yellow fabric then sewn on the pink fabric onto it.

I then found some jean squares and cut them up as well for a cute swishy skirt effect. I triple sewn them together and sewn them onto the bottom of the yellow fabric securely. I purposely made it a size or two bigger so she wouldn't outgrow it before summer time, but that meant she couldn't wear it now. To fix that, I added a lace up back with matching yellow ribbon. This pulls the fabric in enough so it fits.

It's not very glamorous, but I basically took the small amounts of what I had and threw it together and just made it work the best I could. I did it really step by step, figuring it out as I went. I think it's cute, though very basic looking. The next one will hopefully be better.

Monday, April 2, 2012

CRAFTS: Belle Fish Extender WIP

Inspired by my Minnie Mouse Fish Extender from last week (which is a vertical row of pockets to put gifts in for the FE program on Disney Cruise ships) I am now making a large Belle one. It's A LOT more work than anticipated, but I am still hoping that I'll be able to do the full line of Princess ones for Katie's room!)
It's still a WIP, as I still have to do the bottom layer, glue on small roses and attach ribbon to hold the whole thing up, but I thought I'd share my progress as I'm pretty excited about it!

Yesterday's progress:

(Each yellow section is a pocket. Contemplating making the bottom into a horizontal three pocket one. The finished size of this will be 3-4 feet tall!)


Now I have to finish the last pocket (which will take very long as I'm handsewing everything thanks to Katie's fear of my sewing machine, and the tulle will take twice as long as putting on the upper pocket). Hopefully I'll finish it all by Wednesday though!

I can't decide if I want to sell Fish Extenders like this, even though I know some who'd like to buy them they're so time costly! The minnie mouse one was MUCH cheaper to buy and easy to make!)

COOKING: Thomas the Train Birthday Cake

For Henry's Thomast the Train 9th birthday, I made him a Henry Train cake. He didn't want any fondant or else I'd have made the actual train and train tracks on a cake, so I made this instead using just colored buttercream icing.

CRAFT: My First Earrings!

As a continuation of last week's double wrap leather bracelet project, I decided to use some of the leftover beads to make earrings with. Once I figured out (sorta) how the earring pieces went together, it was super easy. Five minutes and I was done! I liked how they turned out and how they look with the bracelet. My SIL has ordered a set of the bracelet, earrings and necklace in the same colors for herself since she liked it so much, I'm hoping to get the set finished by Easter!

Here's the earrings: